Thursday, February 02, 2006

Dear Mr. Kerry...

Earlier this week, we saw a heroic effort made by our own heroic... well, hero to stop the nomination of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, using nothing but his wits, his cell phone, and perhaps the most delightfully-named Senate procedure, the filibuster.

That effort failed. Go ahead and ask me if I still love him. In fact, as sucky as Monday turned out to be for women, people of color, the working class, the middle class, children, men, people not of color, dogs, snowmen, and turtles, I have never been more proud of the Junior Senator from Massachusetts. Or, for that matter, his senior colleague. At the very least, the ice-and-fire, 1-2 punch of their January 30 floor remarks was some of the best television I've seen in a long time. And if I live to be a hundred, I still don't think I'll ever forget how hard they fought for us that day.

Alito may be a done deal, but as anybody who's actually engaged in enough human contact to have learned something about it knows, when somebody sticks his neck out for you, you say "thank you."

Etiquette dictates that you do so in black or dark blue ink, on plain white or ecru paper, folded once, and that you do so within two weeks of receiving the gift or favor. How hard is that?

To best relay my gratitude to Senators Kennedy and Kerry, I even treated myself to some new paper. Only I'm going to pretend that my stationer has bad lighting, because, for this effort, I purchased some Crane and Co. notecards in pale pink instead of ecru. Oops! It was actually pretty difficult to resist something in a bolder shade, or seasonal cards with charming seasonal Valentine motifs, but I don't really want to carry on TOO much in the vein of, you know, Dear Mr. Kerry, I am writing this to you, and I hope that you will read it 'cause it's true: My heart beats like a hammer, and I stutter and I stammer every time I see you talk on C-SPAN 2...

But that's just me.

All this to say that if you as a citizen opposed the Alito nomination, please, please, PLEASE write to thank the Senators who voted against the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Samuel Alito, or at least the two who worked hardest to make a filibuster happen:

Edward M. Kennedy
317 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-4543
Web Form: kennedy.senate.gov/contact.html

John F. Kerry
304 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-2742
Web Form: kerry.senate.gov/v3/contact/email.html

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Kerryvisionary said...

Dear Mr. Kerry,
I am writing this to you
and I hope that you will read it so you'll know...

I think you're grand, that's true
Yes I do, 'deed I do, you know I do. I must tell you what I'm feeling

The very mention of your name
sends my heart reeling.

I don't care what happens, let the whole world stop.
As far as I'm concerned, you'll always be the top,
'cause you know you made me love you.


Sitting here reading those lyrics here: http://www.lyrics007.com/Judy%20Garland%20Lyrics/Dear%20Mr.%20Gable%20(You%20Made%20Me%20Love%20You)%20Lyrics.html

And I just gotta say -- you are so damn weird and you make me laugh like a crazy woman. Thank you.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Democrafty said...

What is truly twisted about the lyrics that I just posted is that they really were going through my head while I was shopping for stationery. So, it's official; I'm certifiable.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Great site. I have already mailed my thank you note to the Senator. By any chance are you guys lurkers/posters at the DU JK group? Because I can tell you -- there are a LOT of Kerrycrats all over the place.

Thanks for the blog, and I'll keep reading.

Beachmom

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Democrafty said...

Hi, Beachmom! Thanks for stopping by. The JK group at DU does, indeed, seem like an oasis of sanity in an anotherwise anti-Kerry blogosphere, but hopefully we can work together to change that :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home