Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Once and Future 44th?

WaPo blogger Chris Cillizza rocked the boat and made my day today when he posted a case for another Kerry campaign for the presidency in 2008. I'm hardly here to deconstruct his argument, since I agree with so much of it, and if I started added my two cents to his comments, that might snowball into a detailed discussion of the 20 or 30 ways the Senator's cute hair alone can save the world if we just get off our high horses and let it. And that would be a bit much. Suffice it to say Chris Cillizza has pleased this Kerrycrat, and probably many others.

The comments, though, were a tough slog. And we're used to that. There are good days and bad days in the career of a politician, and as I can often be heard saying to KV, when you love John Kerry, his bad days are bad, but his good days are worse. There's nothing like a big helping of that now-famous strength, principle, and conviction to elicit lots of keystrokes to the effect of:

  • John Kerry is too smart, but also he is a big dumb idiot!
  • John Kerry can't be reduced to sound bytes, except for all those really good sound bytes I'm willfully ignoring to make my point!
  • John Kerry's wife is a disaster. Doesn't she know Americans hate strong women? Why can't he be married to somebody who isn't a cultural lightning rod? Hillary (or Condi) '08!
  • John Kerry never should have conceded that election. I could never vote for somebody like that again. Gore '08!


I could go on, but I'm already feeling bad about dissing Hillary Clinton and Al Gore - two people I really do admire - so before I say something I'll REALLY regret, let me make my point. I'm here, blogging for John Kerry and making merciless fun of his detractors because John Kerry is not in the business of tearing people down. Instead of blaming others for problems within the party, he came up with ten solutions. Instead of blaming his colleagues for the mess in Iraq, he's proposed multiple strategies for exiting a stable Iraq.

I don't say any of this to echo Cillizza's case for Kerry for president, or to make a case for Kerry for Senate, Kerry for Governer, or Kerry for Postmaster General. I'm not endorsing a campaign... yet. I say it because even he is a French, elitist, windsurfing Skull-and-Bones gigolo, (and he's none of those things, except for a windsurfer, which is as good an excuse as any to put one of those pics up) I can't think of anybody in politics who unabashedly asks people to reach within themselves and become the best citizens they can possibly be. I say it because whether or not somebody loves John Kerry makes absolutely no difference to me, but whether or not somebody is a good citizen makes a world of difference to everybody.

5 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger R2K said...

: )

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Thomas said...

Great blog. I look forward to reading it.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Diane said...

Have you seen this wonderful 1971 interview from the c-span archives on the occasion of the publication of The New Soldier? Esp. the part where he talks about the public trashing he'd already received at that point. I tell you, the man can take it.

Highly recommended!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger MH said...

Beautiful post!

Every word of it, but especially that last pic. ;-)

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger DynamicDems said...

Great post! Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home