Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mary Cheney adds insult to "injury"

I'm going to level with you. I'm in a bit of a mood today.

It seems that David Wade is none too happy with Mary Cheney today, and neither are we.

And I can't speak from Mary Cheney's perspective. I've never been in her position. I'm not saying I "get it."

But maybe I do. I mean, I'm female. I write for a blog called "We Love John Kerry." And I have never written to any Congressperson opposing anti-gay legislation without mentioning that I am happily married and wouldn't deny that experience to ANY couple.

So the jig is up: I'm heterosexual. And having put that out there doesn't make anybody's mom a bitch. If John Edwards tells somebody I'm straight, it doesn't compel me to swear at him.

And I know all things are not equal, and that sometimes people like Mary Cheney have a tougher time of it than I do. But that doesn't make her the gatekeeper of tolerance in this country. And it doesn't make tolerance a buffet. We cannot sidle up to it and choose the item that says the word "lesbian" is an insult, while not acknowledging the "good" folks behind the Defense of Marriage Act. It is no more acceptable than making patriotism a partisan issue. It is no more acceptable than treating a Senate record, or Naval records, or any part of the public record as something that is up for political debate.

Granted, it's all protected under the Bill of Rights. So much the better. I'm not going to challenge Mary Cheney's right to say John Kerry injured and exploited her, even if it is a huge case of the pot calling the kettle black.

But I'm not going to lie. When I think about Mary's dad, and about the President of the United States sending thousands of American kids, most younger than I am, to fight and possibly die defending Mary Cheney's right to her crappy, crazy, ridiculously partisan logic...

well, it puts me in a bit of a mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home